If someone said to you wine flavoured meringue you’d be all, erm, yes. Right? Totally. That what happened when I heard about the I heart wines collaboration with the awesome Meringue Girls – the stars that made those burger macaroons for the Tommy Hilfiger LFW show! They’ve worked together to create this gorgeous range of Merlot, Prosecco and Rose meringues. I’ve got the recipe here the Rose meringue kisses for you, thanks to I heart wines, so if you’re the baking way inclined (which I am not, I am the eating way inclined), you can make them yourself! But, all the same, they’re delicious whether you eat or create them!
- 300g caster sugar
- 150g free range egg white
- Light pink food colouring
- 1 tsp freeze-dried strawberry powder
- ½ tsp raspberry powder
- ½ lemon – zested
- Slices of dried strawberry to garnish
For the caramel:
- 100g sugar
- 1 tbsp i heart Rose
For the meringue mixture:
- Preheat your oven to 200c. Line a baking tray with baking parchment, pour in the caster sugar and heat in oven for 7 minutes
- Pour egg whites into a mixer and whisk slowly, allowing small stabilising bubbles to form, then increase the speed until egg whites form stiff peaks
- Take the sugar out of the oven, and turn oven down to 100c (leave door open to help speed this up)
- With your mixer on full speed, very slowly spoon the hot sugar into the beaten egg whites, making sure the mixture comes back up to stiff peaks after each addition of sugar. Once you have added all the sugar, continue to whisk on full speed until you have a smooth, stiff and glossy mixture
- You should continue to whisk for at least 5 minutes once sugar has incorporated. Feel the mixture between your fingers; if you can still feel the gritty sugar, keep whisking at full speed until it has dissolved and the mixture is smooth, stiff and glossy
- Gently fold in a teaspoon of freeze-dried strawberry powder, half a teaspoon of raspberry powder and then add lemon zest for freshness. Gently fold it through the meringue being careful not to deflate the mixture.
- Paint inside of the piping bag with 4-5 spaced out stripes of light pink colour before adding the flavoured meringue mixture.
- Spoon your meringue into your disposable piping bag and cut the tip off
- Pipe out your kisses by keeping the bag tight, straight and directly above your baking tray. Squeeze from a 2 cm height from the baking tray and then let go before pulling up to form peaks
- Once piped add a slice of dried strawberry to the side of the meringue
- Bake for 35-45 minutes or until the meringue bases come off the parchment paper clean
- While the kisses are cooling make your caramel. Heat the sugar and the i heart Rose in a saucepan over a medium heat until all sugar has dissolved and turns into a golden copper colour
- Take off the heat and very carefully (while the caramel is still hot and runny) dip the bases of the kisses into the caramel. Place the kisses back on the parchment to cool. Repeat this for all kisses.